All non Bruneian students are required by the Brunei Government to have a Student Pass in order to study in Brunei.
JIS is permitted to sponsor a visa and Student Pass for any boarding student
For students resident in Brunei (up to 18 years of age)
The process for getting a Student Pass is as follows:
- JIS will need a copy of the passport page showing the work permit for the parent who is employed to work in Brunei and the parent's passport information page.
- JIS will also need a copy of the passport page of your child showing the Dependent Pass. This is usually issued at the same time or soon after the work permit has been issued. JIS will also need a copy of the child's passport information page.
- JIS will then take these copies together with a special application form endorsed by the school and countersigned by the Principal to the Ministry of Education. The Ministry of Education will then issue a form on three different coloured papers (white, green and blue) to JIS.
- JIS will pass the form on the three coloured papers (white, green and blue) to the parents. The parents will then need to take their passports, the student passport and the three coloured papers (white, green and blue) to the Immigration Department. The Immigration Department will endorse the three forms and also the student passport. The white and green forms will be returned to the parents. Immigration will retain the blue form.
- The parent must give the endorsed green form to JIS so that confirmation of the student pass can be formally recorded. Students may not commence studies without a valid Student Pass. The white form is the parent’s personal copy.
For non Bruneian students resident in Brunei who are 18 years of age or above
When a student reaches their 18th birthday, they are no longer a Dependent, so their Dependent Visa and Student Pass will be cancelled.
There is a different process for students who are 18 years old as they will need a Student Visa, which is issued by the Immigration Department.
For boarding students who are usually resident outside Brunei
The application process for Boarding House students whose family resides outside of Brunei is handled by an agent retained by the School. The agent charges a fee in addition to the cost of the Student Pass.